Can you imagine riding in a covered wagon....coast to coast...in the "olden days"......I've seen movies....read books....and this experience never really appealed to me.....My first cringe is the thought of NO WATER.....
I like to bathe....I like clean clothes......and you are supposed to drink water.....(I perfer diet coke...but that is another story)....and I especially like those around me to not stink.....can you...in your minds eye...smell the stinky men around you... that might not have bathed since the last creek crossing, even the smelly animals and you know... how even women can stink in their own special way.........YUCK.......
All of this leads to lessons I learned without electricity for nearly 3 days....
#1. Being in the dark didnt really bother me.....after all...it is summer and it is light until 9p.m......so that wasnt too bad....
#2. Being without communication with the outside world DID bother me...actually...it terrified me....How do you know what is going on? No t.v., no telephones....no computers.....NOTHING.......what about my kids?...how are they?.....are they okay?....do they have electricity?.....You are trapped in your own little world.....totally unaware of anything outside your travel range......
#3. Cell phones are a God send.....except they have to be "charged"...and of course mine only had 2 battery bars....But
#4. I do have a vehicle....to charge my cell phone...but i was worried about running the van battery down....And I only had 1/4 tank of gas....and you know what that means.....
#5. Being without electricity means there is no pumping of gas....the pumps use electricity......I'm beginning to smell a conspiracy with the electric company.......So no gas.....that means no one in town....and no one passing thru town on the highway can get gas.......I thought I need to "save" my gas.....what if something happened and I need to go somewhere for an emergency.....I dont have enough gas.......
#6. So I went to town to see what I could find out ANY information....In our small town.....L&M was "command central"......where information was passed on......I was chit chatting.....when the mayor came in....He was discussing the electricity outage.....and I said..."well, at least we have water"......He then proceeded to burst my optimistic bubble.......When the water tower runs dry.....you need......you got it......"ELECTRICITY" to pump fresh water back into the tower........
So.......the "olden covered wagon days" flashed thru my mind....NO WATER.......dirty clothes.....smelly people.......
So, I did what the modern civilized women would do.......
I WENT TO ALTUS WITH MY DAUGHTER....THE CLOSEST ELECTRICITY.....WATER.....AND DIET COKE.....
1 comment:
You're so funny! But you are right....we were definatly born in the right century. love ya
Post a Comment